As the chilly winds of winter rattle our bones and fill our social media feeds with 30 second snowscapes, it’s time to gear up for an extraordinary adventure with Camp Master and embrace the magic of winter camping.
Picture frosty mornings, cosy campfires, and the joy of being one with nature as your breath casts little crystals into the air. To truly enjoy this experience of serenity while braving the elements, one thing is essential – warm drinks! So, grab your Camp Master thermos and join us as we explore a tantalising array of hot beverages that go far beyond the traditional cuppa. We know and love the classic, but it’s time to play around a little!
From delightful birthday cake hot chocolate for the little ones to enticing, spicey gluhwein for the grown-ups, we’ve got it all covered. Let’s dive in and find your new favourite liquid winter warmers that will make your camping trip extra special. Disclaimer: Using these recipes might make you the designated beverage master for camping trips to come!
Why Winter Camping?
There’s something uniquely magical about winter camping that sets it apart from other seasons. The crisp air, the ethereal beauty of snow-dusted landscapes, and the tranquillity that envelops nature in its dormant state all contribute to a one-of-a-kind experience.
There’s no quiet like winter-in-the-bosveld quiet. Winter camping allows you to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life, immerse yourself in stunning surroundings, and enjoy a simpler, more serene pace than you might at the bottom of your garden.
It’s a chance to create lasting memories with loved ones and embrace the joy of the great outdoors, even in its wintry charm. Who knows – you might even get lucky enough to build a snowman if you visit one of these snowy South African adventure destinations!
Beyond Traditional Tea: Exploring Exciting Winter Drinks
While tea and coffee have long been the go-to hot drinks for winter, why limit ourselves when there’s a world of delicious possibilities out there? Say goodbye to plain and boring and welcome a range of creative, family-friendly alternatives that will warm your soul and ignite your taste buds. Start sipping on these scrumptious treats today.
1.Birthday Cake Hot Chocolate
– 2 cups full cream milk
– 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
– 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
– 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– A pinch of salt
– Whipped cream, colourful sprinkles, and mini marshmallows for garnish
– In a cast iron pan over a campfire, combine the whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt.
– Stir the mixture constantly until the chocolate chips are melted and the hot chocolate is smooth and creamy.
– Pour the hot chocolate into your Camp Master thermos and seal it tightly.
– Top each serving with whipped cream, colourful sprinkles, and mini marshmallows for a festive touch. Enjoy!
2.Rooibos Tea Latte
– 2 cups water
– 4 rooibos tea bags
– 1 cup milk
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– In a Camp Master kettle, bring the water to a boil and add the rooibos tea bags. Let it steep for 5 minutes.
– In a separate pan, heat the milk until it’s warm but not boiling.
– Combine the steeped rooibos tea and warm milk in your Camp Master thermos.
– Stir in the honey and ground cinnamon.
– Close the thermos tightly and give it a gentle shake to mix the ingredients thoroughly. Sip and savour!
3.Warming Golden Milk
– 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
– 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
– 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1 tablespoon honey
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– A pinch of black pepper
– In a small pan over medium heat, warm the almond milk until it’s just about to simmer.
– Add the ground turmeric, ground ginger, honey, ground cinnamon, and black pepper to the saucepan.
– Whisk the mixture until all the spices are well combined and the golden milk is heated through.
– Transfer the golden milk to your Camp Master thermos and secure the lid tightly. Enjoy the comforting warmth!
4. Lemon Thyme Green Tea
– 2 cups water
– 4 green tea bags
– 4 sprigs fresh thyme
– 1 lemon, sliced
– Bring the water to a boil in a Camp Master kettle and add the green tea bags and fresh thyme.
– Let the tea steep for 3-4 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
– Squeeze the lemon slices gently into the tea to release their citrusy essence.
– Pour the lemon thyme green tea into your Camp Master thermos and seal it securely. Sip and savour the refreshing goodness!
5. Spicy Orange Gluehwein
– 1 bottle red wine
– 1 orange, sliced
– 1/4 cup honey
– 6 whole cloves
– 2 cinnamon sticks
– 2 star anise
– 1/2 cup brandy (optional, for extra warmth, or extra patriotism)
– In a large pot, combine the red wine, orange slices, honey, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise.
– Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, but do not let it boil.
– Allow the flavours to meld for 15-20 minutes.
– Stir in the brandy, if using, for an extra kick. Warning: this packs a punch, so be sure to be careful here!
– Pour the spicy orange gluhwein into your Camp Master thermos and secure the lid tightly. Enjoy responsibly and let the cheer warm your soul!
How to Keep Your Drinks Hot
Now that we’ve tantalised your taste buds with these delightful winter beverages, it’s time to ensure they stay warm throughout your camping trip. Investing in a quality Camp Master thermos – or any of our other nifty insulating containers – is the key to preserving the temperature of your hot drinks.
These thermoses are designed to retain heat for extended periods, so you can enjoy your favourite brews piping hot, no matter the weather. Think road trip pit-stop, to mid-hike, to at the pivotal viewing in a game drive!
Sip on scrumptious with Camp Master
You’re now equipped with a treasure trove of hot drink recipes that will elevate your winter camping experience with Camp Master. Lucky you.
From the indulgent birthday cake hot chocolate for the little ones to the comforting and aromatic gluhwein for the adults, each sip will be a moment of pure bliss, nestled into your cosy comforts in the heart of the African winter.
So, pack your thermos, gather your loved ones, and head out on an unforgettable adventure where warm hearts, toasty treats and delicious drinks collide. Embrace the magic of winter camping with Camp Master, and let the warm beverages keep your spirits high and your souls content.
Get your hands on all the products mentioned in this article – and tons more awesome gear – when you visit a Game, makro or Builders’ Warehouse near you!